Groklaw's OSI item

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Wed Aug 22 20:12:51 UTC 2007

Rick Moen wrote:
> (I call it bad because it trivially impairs usage, while
> simultaneously utterly failing in its probable goal of being a copyleft
> licence within the ASP industry.

Actually, CPAL does have a network clause (unrelated to the advertising
clause, which does nothing for the SaaS problem):

"The term “External Deployment” means the use, distribution, or
communication of the Original Code or Modifications in any way such that
the Original Code or Modifications may be used by anyone other than You,
whether those works are distributed or communicated to those persons or
made available as an application intended for use over a network. As an
express condition for the grants of license hereunder, You must treat
any External Deployment by You of the Original Code or Modifications as
a distribution under section 3.1 and make Source Code available under
Section 3.2."

This is taken from the Open Software License.

This would seem to require SaaS deployments provide source code to end
users.

Matt Flaschen