For Approval: Microsoft Permissive License

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Wed Aug 22 03:54:10 UTC 2007

Chris Travers wrote:

> I read this as:
> "If you distribute any portion of this code in source form, you may only do
> so as permitted by this license and may not change any licensing terms on
> this code without further permission from the copyright holder."

Problem is, that's not what it says.  It doesn't say you just have to
follow the license and not change terms (which the BSD license
essentially says).  It says you can't sublicense, which means it's
really not a permissive license.

> Since the restriction is limited to specific portions of the code which are left
> intact,

I don't see anything about intact parts.  It says "any portion"

> Compare to the related BSDL clause which also forbids changing copyright
> license terms:

No, it doesn't forbid changing terms.  It says you must include a
copyright notice, list of conditions, and a disclaimer.  If BSD forbids
changing terms, why can't I copy the BSD networking code in Windows
Vista; I can copy the original BSD code?

Matt Flaschen