For Approval: Microsoft Permissive License

Chris Fagan chrisfa at microsoft.com
Tue Aug 21 18:41:35 UTC 2007

Hi,
My colleague Jon Rosenberg is out on vacation for a couple of weeks. Sorry it's taken a few of days to pick up this thread. In his stead I'd like to respond:

Our intention in designing the MS-PL is most clearly understood by thinking about how a developer may want to make source code they developed available to their users (i.e. other developers etc).  A design goal of the MS-PL is to allow developers to choose to ensure that the specific rights in Section (2) continue to be available to downstream developers and users through generations of adoption and adaptation.

Chris Fagan
Microsoft Corporation