Concerns relating to the FSF and Future Licenses

Chris Travers chris at metatrontech.com
Sun Aug 19 00:59:29 UTC 2007

For the record, this discussion came about because of questions as to
whether similar concerns should be considerd wrt Microsoft.

I just felt that if I was going to say something like "do we want to
open this door" relating to discussing Microsoft's priorities relating
to FOSS, and suggesting that it the FSF's hands in this area are not
clean, then I probably should back up what I say.

I am *not* asking for an inquiry into the FSF.  I am *not* asking for
this to be held against any of their licenses (though I have a hard time
imagining how the AGPL can ever be held as "Free" by any standard other
than "because it was released by the FSF."

The post is also a bit of background into why I consider the FSF as
pernicious when it comes to Free Software as any proprietary software
vendor.

But that is what it is.  It does *not* bear any relevance to the OSI
other than to provide context for other remarks I have made.  I would
note that many people including Rick Moen and Chris Dibona have either
asked me to back up what I have said on other threads or offered to
discuss it.  I figured that such a post was only fair even if only
marginally on-topic.

Best WIshes,
Chris Travers