For Approval: Microsoft Permissive License

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Sat Aug 18 06:21:08 UTC 2007

Chris Travers wrote:
>> No, it isn't compatible with the GPL because the combination would have
>> to be under the GPL and MS-CL of course also prohibits sublicensing (as
>> you would expect from a copyleft license).
>>
> I haven't seen this in either license.  Maybe you could enlighten me?
> The MS-PL's restrictions seem to be:
> 1)  No trademark license
> 2)  Patent licenses end if you initate lawsuits over any patents in
> covered software
> 3) Redistribution requires compatible license
> 4)  No warranty.

The phrase "you may do so only under this license by including a
complete copy of this license with your distribution." is in both
licenses.  Jon confirmed this is the submission email by writing, "The
MS-PL license explicitly prohibits relicensing of the original licensed
code under a different license, regardless of whether the original code
is redistributed in whole, in part or as part of a different piece of
software.".  In my interpretation (IANAL), this clause means MS-PL code
can't be used in a GPL program.

Matt Flaschen