Combining GPL and non-GPL code

Chuck Swiger chuck at codefab.com
Fri Aug 17 22:07:55 UTC 2007

Hi, Andy & all--

On Aug 17, 2007, at 2:42 PM, Wilson, Andrew wrote:
> 2. John Cowan and I, along with several other contributors, walked
> our way
>    through the question of which license applies to a program where
> GPL and
>    BSD code have been intermingled at the source level within a module
>    (not at the multiple file or archive level).  After looking at
> some length at
>    the issue from a variety of different points of view, I think it is
>    fair to say that John and I and the other contributors agreed
>    the answer is "GPL."

While I agree that we have discussed this topic before, I believe you
might be oversimplifying the end consensus (to whatever extent this
is ever reached :) just a bit.  My answer to the above would be "both
BSDL and GPL".  Since all of the requirements from the BSD license
are a subset of the requirements of the GPL, your answer is also right.

However, the portion of the code which started off as BSDL code
remains available under the terms of that license alone, and any
derived work which uses a significant portion of the BSDL code must
retain the BSD license text, original copyright notices, the mention
in the documentation or other materials if a binary form of
redistribution occurs, etc.

> 3. The concept that the BSD copyright allows relicensing is one of the
> more difficult points of open source licensing to get one's mind
> around.

The BSD license does not mention relicensing anywhere, only:
"Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
modification, are permitted provided...."

It is commonly understood that this permits people to modify BSD
licensed code and place the resulting derivative work under the terms
of another license so long as the other license preserves the
original copyright notice and BSD license text.  I would term this
"sublicensing".

--
-Chuck