For Approval: Microsoft Permissive License

Chris DiBona cdibona at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 14:30:15 UTC 2007

Actually, if you read my original email, you'll see that I don't have
a lot of issues with the licenses themselves, outside of their
redundancy. But I think that Microsoft's behavior deserves discussion,
because the reality is that Bill's employer will use OSI's approval
against it.

OSI should not trade on its reputation lightly. Again, this is not a
discussion about licenses but whether or not it is wise for OSI to
enable its most vicious competitor.

You may want to try to paint this as personal disapproval, but if you
look on any search engine you would be hard pressed to find anything
from me personally about Microsoft outside of windows refund day in
1998. Note that trying to turn this into a discussion about FSF or
Google or me completely dodges the issue, so , you know, nice try and
all. I'm more than happy to discuss Google's frankly incredibly
awesome open source practices (including pr, press quotes, not
creating new licenses, marketing and the rest) in a  different thread,

Chris

--
Open Source Programs Manager, Google Inc.
Google's Open Source program can be found at http://code.google.com