For Approval: Microsoft Permissive License

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Fri Aug 17 05:58:59 UTC 2007

Chris Travers wrote:

> I won't comment here except to say that having read both licenses, I
> think this is a bigger issue for the Permissive license since the terms
> seem pretty analogous to the new-style BSD license.

No, there's a significant difference, in that MS-PL isn't compatible
with copyleft licenses because it explicitly prohibits sublicensing.

>  The MS-CL is slightly different and seems to be compatible with a number of other
> Free and non-Free open source licenses (included by my reading all
> versions of the GPL and MPL).

No, it isn't compatible with the GPL because the combination would have
to be under the GPL and MS-CL of course also prohibits sublicensing (as
you would expect from a copyleft license).

Matt Flaschen