For Approval: Microsoft Permissive License

Bill Hilf billhilf at microsoft.com
Fri Aug 17 05:30:31 UTC 2007

Chris:

I'm unclear how some of your questions are related to our license submissions, which is what I believe this list and the submission process are designed to facilitate.  You're questioning things such as Microsoft's marketing terms, press quotes, where we put licenses on our web site, and how we work with OEMs - none of which I could find at http://opensource.org/docs/osd.

If you'd like to discuss this, I'd be happy to - and I have a number of questions for you about Google's use of and intentions with open source software as well.  But this is unrelated to the OSD compliance of a license, so I will do this off-list and preferably face to face or over the phone.

One question I think is related to our license submission is your question 'b' below.  If the license-discuss community feels that having the MS-CL and MS-PL posted separately from our other Shared Source licenses, I'm happy to consider doing that, if that's important to the broader community.  One of the reasons we continued to call it the "Shared Source" program was to acknowledge that these licenses had not been approved by the OSI, and some of our Shared Source licenses will not be submitted to the OSI.  But I'm open to make this more distinguishable on where/how we post the MS-CL and MS-PL on the Web site if it's important to the community.

The other license submission question you raise is about additional licenses in an era when the OSI is trying to reduce license proliferation.  There are already several hundred community projects that use these licenses, including over 150 Microsoft projects; while these are two more licenses they represent a reasonably large set of existing code, the authors and users of which would benefit from having the licenses assessed as Open Source.

-Bill