For Approval: Microsoft Permissive License

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Sat Aug 11 02:38:18 UTC 2007

Chuck Swiger wrote:
> A "viral" license is one which requires that a combination of code under
> that license and other software, to only be distributed under the terms
> of the viral license.  The MSPL isn't viral in that sense; instead, it
> is reasonably close to the "new" or "modified" BSDL, which is considered
> a canonical example of a permissive license.

But significantly unlike BSD and other traditional permissive licenses,
it requires that MS-PL source code is licensed only under MS-PL.  This
appears to forbid MS-PL code from being part of a copyleft (e.g. GPL)
work.  Regardless of this, I agree that it is definitely OSD-compliant
and should be approved.

Matt