For Approval: Microsoft Permissive License

Chuck Swiger chuck at codefab.com
Fri Aug 10 16:59:30 UTC 2007

Hi, Jon--

On Aug 10, 2007, at 9:16 AM, Jon Rosenberg (PBM) wrote:
> Microsoft is pleased to submit the Microsoft Permissive License to
> the OSI for consideration as an OSI approved license.  Microsoft
> believes that this license provides unique value to the open source
> community by delivering simplicity, brevity, and permissive terms
> combined with intellectual property protection.
>
> The three sections below provide the information required for the
> discussion portion of the approval process.  We look forward to
> working with the OSI on this submission process and discussing this
> submission with the open source community.

Thanks for your license submission.  This seems to be a
straightforward permissive license with strong patent protection
terms; in particular, section 3(e) with regard to disclaiming
warranty obligations seems to be well written to acknowledge that
different legal frameworks may override such disclaimers.

The MSPL seems to be fully OSD-compliant.  Although, as you've noted,
it is not miscible with the GPL or similar licenses which seek to
govern how a combination is licensed.

+1.

--
-Chuck