conducting a sane and efficient GPLv3, LGPLv3 Review

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Fri Aug 3 19:08:08 UTC 2007

On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 08:59:45PM +0200, Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> On 8/3/07, Matthew Garrett <mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org> wrote:
> > The FSF argument is that Totem is a derivative of gstreamer. The LGPL
> > would then require Totem to be under restrictions that are not present
> > in the GPL.
>
> Eh? I thought that *Lesser* GPL is about "additional permissions"
> (needed in the GNU Republic for linking) not restrictions...

For instance, you can't take advantage of GPL 3(c) while also satisfying
the LGPL (referring to GPL 2.0 and LGPL 2.1, because those are the ones
I'm familiar with). While the LGPL does provide extra permissions, the
permissions it provides do not appear to be a complete superset of those
provided by the GPL.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org