what *is* the approval process?

Chuck Swiger chuck at codefab.com
Fri Aug 3 14:55:57 UTC 2007

Hi, DES (and others)--

Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> I am still waiting for someone to tell me what the *actual*
> application process is so I can resubmit the Simplified BSD License.

In the past, one needed to create both a plain-text and an HTML version of the
license and submit them to both this mailing list and to the license-submit
address which you apparently found was not working.

For a submission which is an updated version of an already approved license,
such as the case for the Simplified BSDL and for the GPLv3/LGPLv3, the
requirement for a detailed legal analysis and comparison/rationale for the
license to be approved compared with other existing licenses has generally not
been needed.

To my mind, the Simplified BSDL is obviously OSD-compliant and should be
approved; the only issue I could see is whether it qualifies as being
sufficiently distinctive from the existing "new" or "modified" BSDL for
another, separate approval to be meaningful.

--
-Chuck

PS: Thanks for trying to focus attention on the purpose of this list, which is
reviewing licenses which have been submitted, and not ad-hoc legal debates on
whether the GPL is enforcable.  :-)