conducting a sane and efficient GPLv3, LGPLv3 Review

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Thu Aug 2 18:48:15 UTC 2007

Walter van Holst wrote:
> Interesting and possibly flawed analysis, but that is not the point here.
> First of all I have to apologize for construing an apaprant American
> concept under Dutch law without hesitating to think about what you might
> have meant. The doctrine of misuse as you know it is not a doctrine I am
> familiar with under Dutch law or any other continental European law system
> I know of. We do have a generic 'misuse of right' doctrine, the GPL would
> clearly fall outside its scope. You may have or not have a point here
> about misues under American copyright law (I'd be delighted to hear
> Lawrence's opinion on this).

My opinion on this topic isn't worth any more than anyone else's, and
certainly not as much as a judge's opinion. :-)

FWIW, I do agree with the analysis that requiring the disclosure of source
code of independent works that are combined with GPL-licensed software into
collective works would be copyright misuse under US law. It would be fun to
argue it in court, but I haven't seen any case where a GPL copyright owner
has dared to risk such a lawsuit to try to force the disclosure of someone
else's independently-written source code that is NOT a derivative work.

Frankly, I haven't seen any case where a GPL copyright owner has risked a
lawsuit to force the disclosure of a derivative work either, but that one
I'd be willing to take to court, perhaps even on contingency. Unlike some
out there, I believe the GPL is enforceable (either as a license *or* a
contract!), just not as broadly as FSF/SFLC dreams possible.

/Larry