conducting a sane and efficient GPLv3, LGPLv3 Review

Walter van Holst w.van.holst at mitopics.nl
Thu Aug 2 11:49:00 UTC 2007

Van: Arnoud Engelfriet [arnoud at engelfriet.net]
Verzonden: donderdag 2 augustus 2007 9:42
Aan: Lawrence Rosen
CC: 'License Discuss'
Onderwerp: Re: conducting a sane and efficient GPLv3, LGPLv3 Review

>Personally I'm leaning towards your opinion. The problem is, I need
>to ensure that my client (the company I work for) doesn't get into
>problems if you and I are mistaken. So that's why in practice I go
>with the FSF's opinion.

At the end of the day the FSF's interpretation of the GPL doesn't matter in court as much as the licensor's intention with using the GPL. I would not be terribly surprised if a Dutch court would ignore Eben's interpretation and go with the actual content of the GPL in a case where the FSF is not the copyright holder of the software in question.

Regards,

 Walter

(not an attorney but a mere contract lawyer)