what *is* the approval process? [was Re: License Committee Report for July 2007]

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Wed Aug 1 02:46:37 UTC 2007

On 7/31/07, Russ Nelson <nelson at crynwr.com> wrote:
> Luis Villa writes:
>  > On 7/30/07, Timothy McIntyre <tmcintyre at terracottatech.com> wrote:
>  > >
>  > >  The OSI, to its credit, requires compliance with the following procedures,
>  > > in order to have a license approved:
>  > >
>  > > http://www.opensource.org/docs/certification_mark.html#approval
>  >
>  > But Russ linked to:
>  >
>  > http://opensource.org/approval
>  >
>  > These two links are radically different documents (particularly the
>  > second link's requirement of a 'legal analysis' of the OSD). Which of
>  > them is actually the correct process?
>
> Hrm.  That's got to be my fault, since it was my action item to
> "Preserve existing URLs".  The real "old website" approval process is
> in certification_mark.php, which is no longer accessible and even if
> it was, uses old PHP code.  I've looked, and it has the same content
> as .../approval.  Thus I feel safe in saying that
> http://opensource.org/approval has been the proper procedure to
> follow, before and after the website upgrade.
>
> My apologies for the confusion.  That page has been changed to point
> to .../approval.

My apologies to everyone else for resurrecting a much more onerous process.

So... what lawyer is going to volunteer to write the necessary
analysis for v3?

(crickets)

[Board: this could be your cue to step in, note that v3 has already
undergone the most extensive legal vetting of any license in history,
agree with Larry and Rick in the other thread, waive the analysis, and
let us all move on with life.]

Luis