Creative Commons style open source licenses?

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Sun Apr 22 07:12:26 UTC 2007

Grant Robertson scripsit:
> I have only been reading this list for a short time. However, it
> really seems to me that the OSI needs to sit down and do for open
> source licensing what Creative Commons has done for general copyright
> licensing.

That worked for CC because it was a greenfield situation: there were
no open licenses for general content, and they could create a license
templating system from scratch (although drawing on the FLOSS licenses
to tell them what options made sense).  Such was not the case when the
OSI was founded.  Attempting to replace the existing dominant licenses
with new ones at this point would be quixotic.

--
Híggledy-pìggledy / XML programmers            John Cowan
Try to escape those / I-eighteen-N woes;        http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
Incontrovertibly / What we need more of is      cowan at ccil.org
Unicode weenies and / François Yergeaus.