license recommendation

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Wed Apr 18 14:37:12 UTC 2007

David Woolley scripsit:

> Compiling it is normally considered making a modified (derivative)
> version,

AFAIK compiling is considered copying: object code *is* source code
in the eyes of the law, just as a microfilmed copy of a book *is* the
book.

> and in some countries, copying into computer memory in order
> to execute it, etc., is considered copying for copyright purposes (I
> believe this is the case in the UK, but not the USA).

It's copying in the U.S. too, but it's allowed by a special exception
in the copyright law.

> IANAL

Me either.

--
Do I contradict myself?                         John Cowan
Very well then, I contradict myself.            cowan at ccil.org
I am large, I contain multitudes.               http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
        --Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass