Copied Offers

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Wed Sep 27 02:34:22 UTC 2006

I found another FAQ Entry
(http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#RedistributedBinariesGetSource)
that says:

"My friend got a GPL-covered binary with an offer to supply source, and
made a copy for me. Can I use the offer myself to obtain the source?
     Yes, you can. The offer must be open to everyone who has a copy of
the binary that it accompanies. This is why the GPL says your friend
must give you a copy of the offer along with a copy of the binary---so
you can take advantage of it."

According to this interpretation, any copy of the offer is valid with
any copy of the binary.

This answer supports my argument, except for its claim that the offer is
only valid for those who have a binary.  I don't see how this
requirement is stated in the GPL.

Matthew Flaschen