Restriction on distribution by Novell?

Matthew Flaschen superm40 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 27 02:20:51 UTC 2006

Ben Tilly wrote:
> There is a difference?  Not that I'm aware of.  If you're aware
> differently, I'd be interested in the explanation of how a digital
> copy of a digital file is measurably different from the original
> digital file.

Sorry, I shouldn't have implied the file itself was measurably
different.  However, identical copies are still copies.  Companies
create many slightly varying offer files, hash them, and track the
hashes of the returned files; if they get more than one file with the
same hash, they can prove duplication and refuse to honor the offer.

Matthew Flaschen