Restriction on distribution by Novell?

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Tue Sep 26 22:49:41 UTC 2006

Wilson, Andrew scripsit:

> The problem with your thought experiment is posting
> the written offer on your web site. Suppose the original
> distributor says "originals only, no copies accepted"
> on the written offer?  I believe a distributor is allowed
> to do this.

How can that be?  I am distributing the copies under 2c, which tells me
to accompany the binaries with "the information you received as to the
offer to distribute corresponding source code".  Clearly an originals-only
policy would prevent this from working.

> On the other hand, if you post binaries on your web site,
> then /you/ have to provide sources to your
> distributees, don't you.

No, not if my distribution is noncommercial and I am exercising my rights
under 3c.

--
We are lost, lost.  No name, no business, no Precious, nothing.  Only empty.
Only hungry: yes, we are hungry.  A few little fishes, nassty bony little