Restriction on distribution by Novell?

Matthew Flaschen superm40 at comcast.net
Tue Sep 26 21:31:52 UTC 2006

Wilson, Andrew wrote:

> No, not under GPLv2.  Novell's obligation to provide sources extends
> only to those who obtain a copy of the binary from Novell.
> GPLv3 may change this.

It seems to me that 3b, which says "Accompany it with a written offer,
valid for at least three years, to give ANY THIRD PARTY, for a charge no
more than your cost of physically performing source distribution, a
complete machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be
distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium
customarily used for software interchange" [emphasis added by me] does
not make this distinction.  Am I missing something elsewhere in the GPL?

Matthew Flaschen