Restriction on distribution by Novell?

Juergen Weigert jw at suse.de
Tue Sep 26 10:49:52 UTC 2006

On Sep 26, 06 06:58:45 +0000, justin at postgresql.org wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just came across something interesting.  Although Novell's SuSE Linux
> Enterprise Software (SLES) product allows for unlimited use once
> purchased:
>
>   http://www.novell.com/licensing/eula/sles_9.pdf
>
>   "You may make and use unlimited copies of the Software for Your
> distribution and use within Your Organization."

the fourth paragraph of the above EULA says:

] The Software is a modular operating system. Most of the components are open
] source packages, developed independently, and accompanied by separate
] license terms. Your license rights with respect to individual components
] accompanied by separate license terms are defined by those terms; nothing
] in this Agreement shall restrict, limit, or otherwise affect any rights or
] obligations You may have, or conditions to which You may be subject, under
] such license terms.

Please let me know If this is insufficient.

> They have been clever with their terms for receiving updates (Upgrade
> Protection).  They appear to restrict the number of servers to which
> the updates can be applied:
>
>   http://www.novell.com/company/policies/suselinux/index.html
>
>  (paragraph 5)  "... up to the number of installations for which
> Customer has purchased Upgrade Protection."
>
> The updates in this case are software updates under various OSI
> certified licenses (i.e. GPL, etc) which prohibit restriction on
> distribution.
>
> Have I missed something here, or is Novell doing the wrong thing?

We don't want to do something wrong :-)

cheers,
        Jw.

--