APL license - What about the enforced logos?

Russ Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Wed Nov 29 21:57:59 UTC 2006

Lawrence Rosen writes:
 > > Uhhhhh, I'd like to correct this misrepresentation of history.  We
 > > tried to protect it as a trademark, however it is too descriptive.  In
 > > order to gain a trademark on something so descriptive, you need an
 > > expensive legal staff.  We don't have that, and so, no trademark for
 > > "Open Source".
 >
 > Uhhhhh, I'd like to correct that. In order to gain a trademark on something
 > so descriptive, you need a change in the law. :-)

Let me defenstrate that idea:  "Windows" is about as descriptive a
term for a bunch of windows as one can think of.  Yet Microsoft has
managed to gain a strong trademark for a word which was used
generically to describe a rectangular pile of bits on a screen.

--
--my blog is at    http://blog.russnelson.com   | You can do any damn thing
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | you want, as long as you