restrictions on web service linking?

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Wed Nov 22 08:13:08 UTC 2006

Arnoud Engelfriet scripsit:

> I can completely see your argument. Problem is, this isn't
> anything like math where we struggle over the formulas until
> the right answer comes out. It has to be a consensus that
> seems reasonable to most people. Hence the Ph.D. theses.
> And I'm afraid the consensus right now is "linked libraries yes,
> cooperating programs no".

Even so, AFAIK most databases are accessed using a linked library,
even if the database product itself runs in a separate process;
the client-side library handles communication with the database.
That returns us to a derivative-work situation.

--
John Cowan                              <cowan at ccil.org>
            http://www.ccil.org/~cowan