restrictions on web service linking?

Clark C. Evans cce at clarkevans.com
Mon Nov 20 21:30:28 UTC 2006

David,

I think I once again caused confusion by using the word "database" instead
of "database system": I have no particular interest one way or the other
in "user data".  Perhaps we can focus on a concrete scenario:

  1. An organization deploys my web application on a public web server
     such that the users of that system are the general public.

  2. The organization configures my application to use a proprietary
     database system (say Oracle) instead of a open source database
     system like PostgreSQL.

  3. The organization modifies the source code to add a "pivot" screen
     that uses a Oracle specific feature, say a "CUBE" clause in a GROUP
     BY, that is not available in PostgreSQL.

If my application was released under the OSLv3, the license would trigger
via the "External Deployment" clause and require the organization to publish
all source code changes that they are using due to this deployment.  However,
the source code released isn't helpful, since public users of cannot make use
of these "improvements" unless they separately license Oracle.

I would like to prevent such "improvements" to my application from being
externally deployed.  In particular, I'd like to see an additional clause
to OSLv3 that covers this case.

Cheers,

Clark

P.S. I do admit that my earlier framing of the issue was far too vague
and broad.  I have other scenarios that I'd like to discuss, but this
is a very good starting point for one.

On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 02:36:04PM -0500, David Dillard wrote:
| I understand your concern.  However I don't believe you can restrict
| usage the way you want to, whether that usage be public or private, and
| meet the requirements of the OSD as it exists today.
|
| It seems to me that what you may need to do is broach the subject of
| changing the OSD to include provisions for freedom of data as well as
| freedom of source code.

| |
| | This can be viewed as potentially violating a several items in OSD:
| |
| | 3. Derived works: If someone cannot modify the software to work with
| | any of the proprietary DBs you named, you've restricted the ability to
|
| | create derived works.
| |
| | 5. No Discrimination Against Persons or Groups: You are discriminating
|
| | against those that wish to use proprietary software in combination
| | with your software.
| |
| | And arguably:
| |