APL license - What about the enforced logos?

Matt Asay mjasay at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 23:41:36 UTC 2006

I'm afraid I need to correct this error.  When someone buys Alfresco (or
even when they don't), they get full access to the source code.  They get
100% rights to modify the source code.  They get 100% rights to redistribute
it.  They can fork it.  Nothing will stop them from doing this (except
Ajeet's preference not to have a logo on the application when he does).

That sounds like open source to me.  (Disclaimer #2:  I'm also on the OSI
board.)

What is in question is whether the OSI will approve attribution clauses.
But given the above, you might understand better why Zimbra, SocialText,
Alfresco, etc. feel that it's well within its rights to call what they do
"open source" until shown otherwise.

No one, incidentally, uses Alfresco blindly believing it's open source when
it's not.  They use Alfresco because it meets their needs, and the company's
website, readme files, etc. all clearly outline what is required of them.