APL license - What about the enforced logos?

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 8 07:18:53 UTC 2006

> Um, basic copyright law allows them to add their author credits.
> I do not read the cited clause as purporting to prohibit that
> action, and -- again -- think it amply clear that no judge would
> ever read it that way, either.

My reading is that the clause as written is exactly trying to deny
them that right.  I'd agree that a judge would probably not accept
that interpretation.  They might well void the whole clause, as it is
not clear what legally valid meaning could be intended.

The problem, though, is that some people might read the licence
and comply with the literal wording (those who don't are more
likely not to have read the licence!) because they don't realise
it is asking for something that cannot be asked for.

I think my advice to anyone wishing to redistribute this code, whether
modified or not, would be to consult a real lawyer, i.e. the
licence is, in my view, unsafe.