APL license - What about the enforced logos?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Nov 7 22:28:36 UTC 2006

Quoting Matthew Flaschen (matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu):

> Sorry.  I just mean that people need to modify the copyright notice if
> they modify the code.

Um, basic copyright law allows them to add their author credits.
I do not read the cited clause as purporting to prohibit that
action, and -- again -- think it amply clear that no judge would
ever read it that way, either.

> > I believe a judge would consider the words "if any" to be clearly
> > implied.
>
> Maybe, but why speculate?  They should write the license clearly in the
> first place.

Actually, you're running right into the point I was trying to make:
This is law, not coding.  Words need to be read _in_ the applicable
legal context; failing to do so leads many software-oriented
commentators to commit crazy talk.  I keep seeing this happen, and it's
gotten old.

--
Cheers,             The genius of you Americans is that you never make
Rick Moen           clear-cut stupid moves, only complicated stupid moves