APL license - What about the enforced logos?

Ajeet Narayan ajeet.narayan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 20:45:14 UTC 2006

Dear all,

We currently consider the use of the APL license (ALFRESCO PUBLIC
LICENSE) initiated by www.Alfresco.com as a license based on MPL1.1.

APL contains the attached (below) Exhibit B. I have three questions if I may:
a) Could you please let us know if such Exhibit B is compliant with MPL1.1?
b) Is APL a valid Open Source license (I cannot find any reference in
OpenSource.org)?
c) Can a Contributor force the User of an Open Source license to
display such a message on each and every screen of all his GUIs?
Wouldn't it be enough to refer to it in the Source Code and in the
About box?

thanks for your time,

Ajeet

----------------8<-------------------------
Alfresco Public License 1.0 - Exhibit B

Additional Terms applicable to the Alfresco Public License.

I. Effect.

These additional terms described in this Alfresco Public License –
Additional Terms shall apply to the Covered Code under this License.

II. Alfresco and logo.

This License does not grant any rights to use the trademarks "Alfresco"
and the "Alfresco" logos even if such marks are included in the Original
Code or Modifications.

However, in addition to the other notice obligations, all copies of the
Covered Code in Executable and Source Code form distributed must, as a
form of attribution of the original author, include on each user
interface screen (i) the " Alfresco Community" logo, (ii) the vendor
disclaimer "Supplied free of charge with no support, no certification,
no maintenance, no warranty and no indemnity by Alfresco Software, Inc
or its certified partners. Click here for support. And certified
Versions" and (iii) the copyright notice in the same form as the latest
version of the Covered Code distributed by Alfresco Software, Inc. at
the time of distribution of such copy. In addition, the "Alfresco
Community" logo and vendor disclaimer must be visible to all users and
be located at the very bottom left of each user interface screen.
Notwithstanding the above, the dimensions of the " Alfresco Community "
logo must be at least 176 x 26 pixels. When users click on the "
Alfresco Community " logo it must direct them back to
http://www.alfresco.com <http://www.alfresco.com/>. When users click on
the vendor disclaimer it must direct them to http://www.alfresco.com
<http://www.alfresco.com/> In addition, the copyright notice must remain
visible to all users at all times at the bottom of the user interface
screen. When users click on the copyright notice, it must direct them
back to http://www.alfresco.com <http://www.alfresco.com/>.