License Discussion for the Broad Institute Public License (BIPL)

Simon Phipps Simon.Phipps at Sun.COM
Fri May 12 00:43:21 UTC 2006

On May 12, 2006, at 01:02, Philippe Verdy wrote:

> Wel, that's the merit of free software against "open-source" as
> used by Sun in its SCSL... (But Sun correctly describes that the
> software may include patent-covered materials, and that the licence
> is personnal and not transferable to sublicensees; may be then the
> MIT should better use the Sun SCSL approach).

Excuse me, but Sun does not describe SCSL as an "open source" license
- it has never been submitted to OSI, is clearly not intended to be
OSD-compliant, and is obsolescent.  If you find anyone at Sun that
does describe it as open source, please e-mail ombudsman-AT-sun-DOT-
com at once.

S.