[FWD: RE: [Ebxmlrr-tech] License issue with our customer]

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu May 4 19:59:49 UTC 2006

Quoting John Cowan (cowan at ccil.org):

> A translation of software from one programming language to another
> (where the first might be UML or flowcharts), however, might fall
> under #1.

ObReminder:  The law is not a Turing machine:  Judges interpret terms
like "translation" in light of precedent and their own common sense.
They don't seek out weird edge cases and twist them strangely through
geek logic filters.

Ergo, I'd be thunderstruck of "translation" in 17 U.S.C. 101 means
anything other than what the man in the street assumes it does.