For Approval: Broad Institute Public License (BIPL)

Matthew Flaschen superm40 at comcast.net
Fri Jul 14 19:30:29 UTC 2006

Lawrence Rosen wrote:
> So does the OSL/AFL. It only grants patent claims that are "owned or
> controlled by the Licensor." I believe that's typical language for most
> modern open source licenses.
>
> /Larry

IANAL, but it seems clear the patent claims *are* owned by MIT, though
not controlled by them.  Thus, they are unfortunately "owned or
controlled" and would necessarily have to be granted.  This is intended
for cases where a company is an exclusive licensee, while MIT is the
exclusive licensor.

Matthew Flaschen