For Approval: Broad Institute Public License (BIPL)

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Fri Jul 14 17:49:11 UTC 2006

Karin Rivard scripsit:

> MIT does also want post-backs,
> but we are willing to accept the patent risk of using any such post-backs.

Ask for them by all means, but don't demand them as of right.  That also
raises red flags.  (In practice, people who make changes *want* to post
them back and get them incorporated into the standard version so that
they don't have to reinstall them over and over as new versions of
the software come downstream.)

Even the GPL and other reciprocal licenses don't demand that you send patches
back upstream, only that you send the patches to *your* downstream distributees.

--
Ambassador Trentino: I've said enough. I'm a man of few words.
Rufus T. Firefly: I'm a man of one word: scram!