Question Regarding GPL

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Sat Jan 21 00:58:21 UTC 2006

Previous emails wrote:
> > It is obvious that a loadable module can be derivative of the Linux
> > kernel.  Just start with a piece of the Linux kernel and
> make it into
> > a loadable module.  The question is whether it is possible for a
> > loadable module to not be derivative of the Linux kernel.
>
> Yes, very succinctly put.
>
> > Linus's stated opinion is that it is possible.
<snip>

I'm turning this back into a question more challenging for license-discuss:

This entire issue of linking independent modules to Linux has bothered us
all for way too long, and from what I read GPLv3 won't solve it--at least
not yet. The GPL is ambiguous about such combinations, and regular
pronouncements about it from the mountain top don't really help us achieve a
common understanding among all the licensors and licensees in the world.

The language of OSL 3.0 § 1(a) and 1(b) attempts to solve the problem by
separately granting a license to copy the Original Work and a license to
create Derivative Works. These are the specific things you are authorized to
do:

   1(a): to reproduce the Original Work in copies, either alone or as part
         of a collective work;

   1(b): to translate, adapt, alter, transform, modify, or arrange the
         Original Work, thereby creating derivative works ("Derivative
Works")
         based upon the Original Work;

So if Linux were licensed under OSL 3.0, linking a device driver to it would
create either a collective work containing a copy of Linux and a copy of the
driver or, if the driver was created by translating, adapting, altering,
transforming, modifying, or arranging Linux, a derivative work of Linux. If
the latter, source code would have to be disclosed. (See § 1(c).)

Note that with such language, you'd never get into silly legal problems with
pre-existing, independently-written copyrighted modules being declared
derivative works of Linux simply because the works are linked together.

Does anyone besides me think that similar language in GPLv3 would be
helpful?

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen
Rosenlaw & Einschlag, technology law offices (www.rosenlaw.com)
Stanford University School of Law, Lecturer in Law
3001 King Ranch Road, Ukiah, CA 95482
707-485-1242  *  fax: 707-485-1243
Author of "Open Source Licensing: Software Freedom and
   Intellectual Property Law" (Prentice Hall 2004)
   [Available also at www.rosenlaw.com/oslbook.htm]