Help in choosing appropriate open-source license...

Ernest Prabhakar prabhaka at apple.com
Tue Feb 14 20:12:42 UTC 2006

> [3] The additional complication is that a large company can use the
> server
> without ever distributing it, and there do not seem to be any open-
> source
> license that deals with code that is run on a server-farm and not
> distributed. There is no web  page - the only externally 'visible'
> portion
> is the audio that the speech application plays out.

The only well-known license I know of that has "app server"
restrictions is the Affero license:

http://www.affero.org/oagpl.html

But, I don't remember if that was Open Source or not.  Anything
stronger than that would probably not be.

-- Ernie P.

P.S.  Yeah, the APSL does too, but its not recommended for re-use.