Jbilling: Possible unauthorised use of OSI Certified service mark

Danese Cooper danese at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 06:43:33 UTC 2006

First of all, thank you Rick (and Matthew) for notifying us of an
apparent violation of our Trademark.  We will follow up on it in the
New Year.  The OSI Board relies on the participation of the Open
Source Community to help us police the mark, so this is a huge help.

For the record, the OSI Board is happy that Social Text has taken the
step of submitting proposed future mods to their license for
consideration by License-Discuss.  It took a lot of discussion to get
one of these Attribution License companies to take this step, mostly
because there was a lot of fear on the part of all those companies
that they would be misunderstood and harshly criticized by the
sometimes acerbic License-Discuss community when they were in fact
trying to do the right thing.

Can we please accept Social Text's actions in the positive light in
which they were initiated?  In my experience Ross is pretty good
about making fixes.  I believe him if he says he missed your earlier
suggestion Rick.  Ross is very aware that their current licensing
situation is not OSI approved.  He submitted the GAP in hopes that it
would be discussed (including potential mods to it if necessary) and
eventually approved so they could move to use it.  We who read
License-Discuss every day are used to a quick and sometimes
contradictory discourse...it's a discussion list afterall.  But if
you're not used to it, it might be difficult to discern what is
friendly banter and what could be taken as practical, actionable advice.

So, on the subject of attribution and where the line should be drawn
between acceptable and unacceptable attribution requirements in Open
Source licenses, we've seen some useful discussion before and since
Social Text submitted the GAP.  The Board met in December and felt
that there was still more discussion necessary.  Once everyone gets
back to work in January, Russ Nelson (who is the OSI Board member
responsible for the License-Discuss report to the Board) will digest
the discussion that's happened so far and start asking questions to
focus the discussion to answer some questions the Board has.

In the meantime, Happy Holidays (which ever ones you celebrate, even
if its just a few days off from work :-) ) to everyone out there in
License-Discuss land.

Danese