[Fwd: FW: For Approval: Generic Attribution Provision]

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Dec 15 23:00:01 UTC 2006

Quoting Chuck Swiger (chuck at codefab.com):

[Misrepresentation of authorship:]

> I've only heard of this happening a handful of times (the g4u issue;
> http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/g4l.html).

FYI, the newer maintainers of g4l corrected this misdeed (including
retroactive acknowledgement of their debt to Hubert Feyrer, and of the
misdeed committed by prior maintainer "nme", in all new releases, despite
their complete rewrite since the offending g4l v. 0.12 release), after a
number of people including me strongly confronted "nme" in public.[1]

I kept Hubert apprised of all those developments, and a couple of months
ago asked if he'd please acknowledge the new maintainers' corrective
action on his page (referenced above).  He hasn't yet done so, but I
hope he will at some point.

[1] Note in particular Freshmeat comments around Jan. 14 2005,
immediately after the story was first mentioned here:
http://freshmeat.net/projects/g4l/  Though new maintainer Frank Stephen
at first dragged his feet against fully fixing the situation (on grounds
of his rewrite), he and subsequent co-maintainer Michael D. Setzer II
quickly changed course, and did the right thing, i.e., also adding
retroactive acknowledgement.