[Fwd: FW: For Approval: Generic Attribution Provision]

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Wed Dec 13 21:33:58 UTC 2006

Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> I consider that unfortunate,
> personally, but am willing to swallow my idealism - that allowing
> badgeware to carry the label "Open Source" might be better for the world
> than creating a big schism, and consuming passion and energy on a
> distinction that doesn't really affect fundamental freedoms we value
> about Open Source.
>
>     Brian

It does affect fundamental freedoms, though.  For example, interfaces
could easily become burdensome if multiple types of badgeware are
developed.  Worse, one statement has implied that multiple forms of
badgeware could not be combined at all:

Ross Mayfield wrote:

> Yet, by their nature, licenses with
> attribution will only permit the original licensor to include its logo
> since the license cannot be amended by sublicensors.

Finally, there remains the objection on OSD #10 grounds.  It is not
acceptable to limit open source code to GUI programs.

Matthew Flaschen