[Fwd: FW: For Approval: Generic Attribution Provision]

Wilson, Andrew andrew.wilson at intel.com
Wed Dec 13 17:22:14 UTC 2006

Matthew Flaschen wrote:

> Lawrence Rosen wrote:
>> I'm curious why so many
>> companies seem to want such strong attribution in UIs of other
companies'
>> modified software?

> That's a very good question, and I don't know for sure.  However, I
> think part of it is that they don't take OSD #3 seriously.  They
expect
> copies to have minor or non-existent changes, and want to emphasize
that
> they own and control the program; the accuracy of this obviously
varies
> considerably.  Probably the drafters didn't really fathom people
> extracting code for totally unrelated use.

Perhaps a more likely explanation is that the drafters expect to
build a business model around dual licensing, selling
proprietary licenses to remove the badgeware.  There is more
than a faint whiff of shareware, freeware, or trialware around
such licensing plans, as opposed to open source.

Andy Wilson
Intel Open Source Technology Center