[Fwd: FW: For Approval: Generic Attribution Provision]

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Wed Dec 13 17:10:43 UTC 2006

Larry Augustin wrote:
> I don't believe you need a license to the trademark Foo to say a piece of
> software is "Foo-based", "derived from Foo", or "based on Foo".  That's
> simply an expression of fact describing the origin of the code in the
> derivative work.  I believe you could require attribution of that form
> without granting a license to the trademark.

Quite true, although one probably should be careful then not to confuse
those phrases--in the minds of consumers--with actual trademarks or
certification marks so that consumers are misled as to the source or origin
of the goods, or believe that there is some assurance of quality because the
"attribution" notice is there. When an attribution notice is designed to
serve the purposes of a trademark, it may be difficult to deny later that no
trademark license was intended.

And so we return to the central question: What are the limits under open
source rules to such factual statements of attribution that a FOSS license
can *require* in the UI of all derivative works:

   "Lovingly merged with the outstanding software
    I received from Joe Foo and that bears the FOO
    trademark" must be displayed in all derivative
    works in 48-point characters at the top of the
    main WELCOME screen.

One suggestion, I gather, is that we leave such decisions to the software
marketplace rather than state a rule for the OSD. As a potential licensee,
if I don't think Foo software is outstanding, or if I'm not willing to
declare the fact that I merged it in lovingly, or if I just don't want to
allocate screen space to Joe Foo's message, I can simply refuse to base my
derivative work upon Foo.

/Larry