License Committee Report for December 2006

Russ Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Mon Dec 4 21:30:31 UTC 2006

I'm the chair of the license approval committee.  This is my report
for the current set of licenses under discussion.  If anybody
disagrees with my assessment of the committee's conclusions, say so
promptly.

--

Title: TrueCrypt Collective License Version 2.0 (TCCL)
Submission: http://crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:11566
License: in the submission.
Comments:
  License is not reusable.
  Andrew Wilson pointed out in:
  http://crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:msp:11592:himkmlobekloaacndpbj
  that they could use an already-approved license for their original code.
  All commentators suggest that the licenses should be submitted
  separately.  Submittor insists that a collective work may not comply
  with the OSD even if its individual licenses are compliant.
Recommend: reject even though the license may comply with the OSD.
Notes:
  This license opens up the door for OSI to approve a named license
  which consists of a combination of other licenses.  Do the Apache
  License and the GPL really conflict?  Submittor's solution would be
  to submit the "Apache GPL Collective License" and see if we approve
  it.  Repeat for all interesting combinations of licenses.

--

Title: WhizbangApplicationCompany Public License 1.0
Submission: http://crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:11886:200611:cngkioiapdjcckbghgef

--

Title: Generic Attribution Provision
Submission: http://crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:11896:200611:jfkjkakegkfbihlhcbbn

--

Title: Broad Institute Public License (BIPL)
Submission: http://crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:msp:11769:jfeolmbpmicmlbokanom

--

Title: BSD License (with express disclaimer of noninfringement added)
Submission: http://crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:11640:mdnmlhdanbkknefakhik

--
--my blog is at    http://blog.russnelson.com   | You can do any damn thing
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | you want, as long as you