ZDNet article - why attribution matters

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Sat Dec 2 00:56:30 UTC 2006

John-Sugar wrote:

> Here is a link to our license: http://www.sugarcrm.com/crm/SPL
> It is a combination of two OSI approved licenses:
> http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mozilla1.1.php  plus
> http://www.opensource.org/licenses/attribution.php

This is not true.  It doesn't use the Attribution Assurance License
(http://www.opensource.org/licenses/attribution.php) but rather the
"Exhibit B", which contains much more specific provisions, such as "the
dimensions of the "Powered By SugarCRM" logo must be at least 106 x 23
pixels." that fly in the face of OSD #10.  A real combo of the AA
requirements and the MPL would be open source, in my opinion, but has
not been approved.

Moreover, you haven't commented about the FAQ, which inexplicably claims
that no one can "Sell any SPL-covered code." This doesn't seem to be
based on anything in the license, and would obviously violate OSD #1,
which says "The license shall not restrict any party from *selling* or
giving away the software."  Again, I think only the FAQ is at fault, but
it definitely raises questions about your understanding of the meaning
of open source.

Matthew Flaschen