Microsoft's shared source licenses

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Sat Apr 29 14:42:45 UTC 2006

Zac Bowling scripsit:

> So what do you guys think of the new Microsoft shared source licences?
>
> The FSF of Europe said that 2 licenses (MS-PL and MS-CL) are both
> free/open source compatible licenses.

Because Microsoft hasn't submitted these licenses for OSI approval,
neither this list nor the OSI has taken a position on them.  Personally,
I agree with FSF Europe.

[Rotor license:]
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/MSDN-FILES/027/002/097/ShSourceCLILicense.htm

This license is not Open Source, but I think Microsoft would have a
very difficult time using it as a poison pill.  Still, it can't hurt
to be safe.

> look at IronPython's license:
> http://www.gotdotnet.com/workspaces/License.aspx?id=ad7acff7-ab1e-4bcb-99c0-57ac5a3a9742

This license looks Open Source to me (IANAL, this is not legal advice,
I don't speak for the OSI).

> Very similar. I see this one most in a lot of Microsoft applications. A
> few terms in there scare me.

Which ones?

--
Time alone is real                      John Cowan <cowan at ccil.org>