BitTorrent

Russ Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Tue Apr 25 04:32:04 UTC 2006

David A. Temeles, Jr. writes:
 > On what basis can OSI preclude anyone from designating their software
 > license as "open source"?

On the basis that the marketplace generally considers "open source" to
be defined as "complying with the Open Source Definition".  Claiming
that a license or product is "open source" without having been
approved by OSI is not wise marketing.

Myself, I consider "Open Source" to be a trademark that would be hard
to defend in court, rather than a generic term.  "Software" is the
noun, and "Open Source" is the trademarked adjective.  Note that I'm
speaking for myself here.  That's why I said "Myself."  Just in case
you didn't notice.

--
--my blog is at    http://blog.russnelson.com   | A computer without Python is
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | like a CPU without memory: