Restrictions in license

Brian Behlendorf brian at collab.net
Wed Sep 28 04:14:47 UTC 2005

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005, Ben Tilly wrote:
> On 9/25/05, Brian Behlendorf <brian at collab.net> wrote:
>> On Sat, 24 Sep 2005, Russell Nelson wrote:
>>> Joerg Friedrich writes:
> [...]
>> It looks like rule #3 might address this, but it's hard to tell.  Such
>> a license would certainly "allow modifications", just not all possible
>> ones.  Should #3 have read "allow ALL modifications"?
>
> No.
>
>> I think such a license would be abhorrant, but we need a better answer as
>> to why it's not allowed by the OSD.  Are there any existing certified
>> licenses that changing #3 to "allow ALL modifications" would affect?
> [...]
>
> Yes.  See the GPL, section 2c.

So... to me that means that there's no reason why a clause like the
one Joerg proposes ("you may not distribute if modified to allow > N
simultaneous connections") would by itself render a license
non-OSD-compliant.  If that's the case, you're going to find a lot of
existing commercial companies try to "open source" their applications
as user-limited crippleware.  Is that what we want?

 	Brian