OT: Governance and responsibility

Ernest Prabhakar prabhaka at apple.com
Mon Sep 26 22:06:00 UTC 2005

Hi James,

On Sep 26, 2005, at 2:44 PM, James McGovern wrote:
> If they are not conducting daily briefings with the likes of the
> Gartner
> Group on high quality open source software that isn't supported by
> commercial endevors then bad information will go out the door. I
> would love
> to see projects such as Drools, Liferay and others be covered by
> the analyst
> space.

Um, can we please have a reality check here?  In my experience, even
large companies with real PR budgets have a hard time keeping
analysts completely clued in on what's going on with their well-
defined products.  Are you really saying you hold our all-volunteer
board responsible for not exceeding that standard when faced with the
universe of open source software?

More importantly, are _you_ volunteering to take on that thankless job?

C'mon, people.  The OSI Board are just ordinary, over-burdened human
beings like ourselves, trying to do the best they can for a community
they care about.  Sure, they've made some decisions that I personally
consider unwise, but I at least am willing to step up to the plate
and help them fix them. Are you?

Its not like the OSI has the ability to collect taxes or anything for
which we can demand accountability. Like every other open source
project, we pay our way through sweat equity. Or, as a friend of mine
once put, "To complain is to volunteer."

At any rate, I propose we officially declare this issue "off-topic"
for license-discuss, and continue the discussion via:

	membership-discuss-subscribe at opensource.org

Thanks,
-- Ernie P.