Restrictions in license

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Mon Sep 26 05:24:18 UTC 2005

Rick Moen writes:
 > However, please note that Dan's licence does _not_ meets the criteria of
 > OSD clause #4, in that "patch files" may _not_ be packaged up with Dan's
 > original tarballs and distributed that way "with the source code for the
 > purpose of modifying the program at build time".

True.  With netqmail, we distribute the qmail-1.03.tar.gz unmodified
along with a shell script that applies the patch, plus documentation
all in another .tar.gz.  As a practical matter there's no impediment.

 > The "Exception" paragraph at the bottom relates to precompiled _binary_
 > packages with very narrowly constrained changes, not source code.

Right, which means that you can't fork the code and compile binaries,
which is why qmail isn't open source.

--
--my blog is at     blog.russnelson.com         | with some experience
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok |     you know what to do.