Governance and responsibility

Ben Tilly btilly at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 23:52:36 UTC 2005

On 9/25/05, Ian Jackson <ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Eric S. Raymond writes ("Re: License Committee Report for September 2005"):
> > The OSI Board makes policy.  The license-discuss list advises the Board,
> > and I promise you we do listen very carefully.  But when we have
> > made a policy decision, your responsibility is to either assist us in
> > implementing it or recuse yourself from the process.
> > You knew or should have known those rules when you walked in.  [...]
>
> What's really going on here is that the OSI Board are a self-appointed
> bunch of people who reckon that they've got the moral authority to
> tell other people what to do.  You say that this is OK because those
> other people can always choose not to do as you say.
[...]

Can this be moved off of license-discuss?

Yes, I know that it is a response to a thread here.  In fact I was the
one that ESR was ranting at, and I did my share of being unhappy back.
 But the episode has passed, everyone's points were made, and
conversation has progressed in useful directions.  Therefore I'd like
to request that this particular dead horse be left in a quiet grave
instead of being dragged back to the village square for another round
of beatings.

Thank you,
Ben