Governance and responsibility

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Sun Sep 25 22:27:33 UTC 2005

On Sun, Sep 25, 2005 at 03:40:05PM -0400, Russell Nelson wrote:

> You just spoke for the community.  Why can you do it but we can't?

Becaause we're big, hard and clever and you're not.

But seriously. As far as I can tell, OSI gains no significant proportion
of community respect. Debian gets massively more discussion on Slashdot,
and often disagrees[1]. What makes you think that OSI *does* speak on
behalf of the community?

[1] Free sofware is broadly the same thing as Open Source, right?
Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org